Campus Public Safety Officer- Full Time
Campus Public Safety Officer – Level 1, George Williams College
The Campus Public Safety Officer supports learning by handling emergency situations and enforcing Aurora University policies, and federal and state laws as they apply to the campus community. This position supports the Campus Public Safety mission by utilizing a community policing philosophy and works collaboratively with all members of the campus community to maintain a high quality of life. Works under the direct supervision of the GWC Director of Campus Public Safety.
1. Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
2. Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University is an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
3. Handles all information with tact and discretion and recognizes the confidential nature of university business.
4. Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Handles all emergency situations arising on campus, ranging from personal injuries, fires, threats to individuals, and all other crisis situations.
2. Enforces all applicable and appropriate federal, state and local laws, and university policies.
3. Reports all security and safety violations and hazards. Reports incidents of misbehavior to proper campus authority. Serves as a positive role model for students. Provides general campus supervision.
4. Provides visible patrols of the campus to deter crime and maintain a high quality of life on campus.
5. Provides assistance and direction to campus visitors and guests.
6. Exercises physical control only to the extent reasonably necessary to maintain order, protect property, protect the health and safety of students and faculty, or to maintain proper and appropriate conditions to learning.
7. Responds when Facilities department or other appropriate personnel are not available for any other emergency circumstances.
8. May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Job Requirements:
Education & Experience:
• High school diploma required.
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Prior experience in higher education preferred.
• Prior experience in a community-based public safety environment preferred.
• Knowledge of campus regulations in connection with student conduct; laws pertaining to juveniles; the effects of alcohol and controlled substances on behavior.
• A working knowledge of appropriate federal, state, and local laws including the Campus Security Act of 1997.
• Ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff.
• Ability to interpret rules and regulations.
• Ability to enforce rules and regulations firmly and fairly.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to write reports and maintain appropriate documentation according to departmental standards.
• Valid driver’s license and Evidence of Insurability.
• Minimum 21 years of age.
• Ability to work for extended periods and stand for extended periods.
• Ability to move about campus on foot at a rapid pace.
• Ability to run up stairs carrying heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs.).
• Ability to use a computer and office equipment.
• Ability to speak to individuals and groups; ability to hear verbal conversation.
• May occasionally be required to physically subdue combative subjects; must maintain appropriate level of physical ability accordingly.
• Visual acuity (with or without correction) to read reports.
Requirements listed indicate the minimum levels of skills, knowledge and abilities for the job, with preferred levels indicated. Job requirements may be subject to modification in order to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Requests for accommodations must be discussed with Human Resources.